Gothic Revival Pine Bookcase In Original Paint
An important pine and oak bookcase in original condition, originating from the Cathedral Church of St Colman, or Cobh Cathedral, in Co. Cork, Ireland, whose architects were Edward Welby Pugin, son of A.W. Pugin, & the Irish architect, George Ashlin, he was E.W.’s one time pupil, & son-in-law, since Ashlin married his daughter in 1867.
The form of the cupboard finds parallels in the cathedral design, in it’s tall typically Gothic proportions, but especially in one of the special features of the cupboard which is the pierced frieze of trefoils flanked by taller uprights that decorates the top of the piece, this echoes the the upper side elevation of the cathedral in which a pierced gallery or frieze of quatrefoils is regularly pierced by uprights of the buttressing framing arched windows.
Construction of the cathedral began in 1868, Pugin died in 1875, after which Ashlin took on as assistant Thomas Alosius Coleman. Charles Guilfoyle Doran, a leading figure in the Republican movement, was Clerk of Works until his death in 1909 not long after work on the Cathedral was completed.
H: 227cm (89.4in)
W: 118cm (46.5in)
D: 58cm (22.8in)
Courier/Postage cost arranged separately (an email will be sent following purchase).
Europe delivery is possible, however please get in touch before purchase if you are further afield as delivery costs will be high.